Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Civil War

Back in high school I always hung out with the same 8 guys. We were very close and did everything together. However, halfway through our senior year something happened. Some may call it a group argument. Others may call it a split. In reality it was a Civil War between friends. While no punches were thrown in this Civil War, it was definitely a war of words and ideals that split our group in two. While it took me weeks, I eventually took the side of my friend Bryan, who was the proverbial Abraham Lincoln figure. And I do not intend to compare my friend Bryan to Ole Honest Abe because he had incredible leadership skills, or because he went against what was popular at the time, or because he stood up for what he felt was right, or even because he often referred to us, his followers, as his 'countrymen.' That’s not the case at all. Rather, I look back and compare my friend Bryan to Abraham Lincoln because he always wore this gigantic top hat. It sat on his brow with a slight grin, daring you to question its authority. One time I snagged it off of the head of my friend Bryan and before I could get in my car Bryan clothes lined me to the pavement and...well, I learned my lesson. I loved that top hat.

6 comments:

sarahb said...

1) wow no comments? huh?
2) what a gutsy kid Bryan was...it's great to see such security and self assurance in the wardrobe selections of a kid...
3)i'm a big dontbethatguy fan, and love seeing you guys occasionally pop in the sunday videos at northpoint church, i go w/ my uncle jeff and his family (who just met ya'll to be in your christmas video)
take care!
-sarah

Andy Smith said...

Hey guys,

Love your work. I first saw your automobile edition at Drive Conference last fall. Keep up the good work. Really. Keep it up. Please.

Andy

Unknown said...

Got any pictures of that hat?

Suzanne said...

Are you going to make any more podcasts? They're really quite amazing!

con los pies en el aire. said...

Guys, love your things-you-cant-do when-you-are-not-in-a-pool work, just let me know where i can fi more about your stuff..From baires, argentina.keep it up!! So.

Kate said...

I'm more of a bowler hat wearer, myself. Hey, wait a minute, is that what the split was about?!